Note: Unless noted otherwise, most events are held at Event Horizon, our community center in the Waterbury Building (intersection of Central and Broadway) in NE Minneapolis, at 1121 Jackson St NE. We have a Main Hall (room 107), Classroom (room 106A), and Living Room (room 106).
Parking is on the east side of the building, enter door 1121C.
Taking the bus? Got to the Metrotransit website and map to the intersection for Central Avenue NE and Broadway St NE. Routes 10 and 17 are the closest.
March is coming up, and with it the technical beginning of spring. We’re planning for our 2015 elections in May. Four seats on the Geek Partnership Society Board of Directors are up (three 2-year terms, one 1-year term from mid year appointment), with only two incumbents. As a board we are moving away from the “division model” and redistribute responsibilities based on individual strengths, skill sets, and interest. Individuals elected to the board would be responsible for existing duties until such time as redistribution can happen again. Check out the Board Elections page for more information.
The deadline to declare intent to run for any of these positions is May 1, 2015. If you would like more information or are interested in running, please contact the Secretary at email@example.com.
Declared candidates: Seth Chmelik (incumbent), Jeff Boucher-Zamzo (incumbent
GPS Writing Contest – The 17th Annual GPS Writing Contest is on with 2 youth division prizes, a poetry prize, a graphic novel prize, the Open Division, and the Scott Imes Award. Submissions will be accepted through 11:59pm May 15, 2015. For all the rules and details go to the website link.
This month for GPS
March 14 | 5pm – 10pm |- GPS Movie Night Pi Day Edition
Keeping with the Pi(e) theme, we will be screening episodes from two PIE centric television shows as well as a biopic on mathematician and cryptographer John Forbes Nash Jr. This means we’ll be starting earlier and ending later than normal.
- First, watch as Ned solves crimes using his unique ability to turn dead things back to life, including his alive-again highschool sweetheart.
- Next, swoon over Sam and Dean Winchester as they strike out on a crusade to avenge their mother’s death.
- Lastly, follow John Nash, as played by Russell Crowe, as he plumets from the verge of mathematical superstardom into schizophrenia and then collects a Nobel Prize later in life.
Along with math and pie related screenings, we will be hosting a “tastiest pie” contest and a round food potluck. Pi-neapple punch will be provided.
As always, feel free to bring your own comfy chair and snacks to the Main Hall (room 107) at Event Horizon – as well as a round food to share. Still not sure what we’re watching? RSVP for the event and we will send you the info in your confirmation email.
March 16 | 6pm – 9pm | GPS Arts Initiative – Figure Drawing Salon
If you sketch, draw, or paint, mark your calendar. Every third Monday of the month, the GPS Arts Initiative hosts a Figure Drawing Salon. From 6:00 until 9:00 PM, artists of all skill levels will have the chance to draw a live model and hone their craft.
The salon meets in the Classroom (106A) at Event Horizon. A small contribution will be requested to help cover the model’s honorarium. So bring your friends — the more artists join us, the smaller everyone’s contribution will need to be.
For questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming for GPS
Club News (alphabetical by club)
Black Hat Collective
March 10 | 7pm | East St Paul (ESP) Speculative Fiction Writers Meetup
Read the Book/See the Movie
- Open Gaming | 1st & 3rd Saturday, Mar 7 & 21 | 10 am – 10 pm in room 107, 106A
- RPG Gaming | Sundays after Open Gaming, Mar 8 & 22 | 12 pm – 8 pm, location TBA.
- Designers Sessions | Tue Feb 24 in 106A, Fri Mar 13 in 106, & Tue Mar 24 in 106A – These are a series of meetings for game designers of all stripes to come together for discussion and testing/playing games.
- FSA BattleTech Tabletop | Fri Mar 6 – Fallout Shelter Arcade has set up a tabletop game night first Fridays with U.G.G. in mind. Beginner friendly, check out the meetup link.
- Crafty Gamers | Thu Mar 19 | 7:00 PM – UGG joins Crafty Geek to hang out for a few hours and work on whatever scenery making, miniature painting, map making or other gaming projects, we want to do in the company of others.
- March 28 – Minnesota Miniatures Gaming Association – ReCon – ReCon is the MMGA quarterly gathering of miniatures gamers. Our event features games run by members ranging from historical ancients, horse and musket era, current and far future events, and fantasy. Our only requirement for games is they must feature miniatures. We prefer they be painted because of the aesthetic but it is not required. After that our only other requirement is to have fun and enjoy the camaraderie. All events are open to the public no prior game skill or rules knowledge is required. Admission $7.00 for adults / $3.00 for members under 14
Location: Pizza Lucé, 210 North Blake Road in Hopkins
TICKETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR! They can only be reserved online in advance of the event. Reserve your spot today!
This is a one-night, single special showing. Once the seats are gone, they’re gone. Visit the event page on Tugg for further details and to purchase tickets: https://www.tugg.com/events/13096
Mar 4, 11, 18, 25 | 6pm – 9pm | S.C.A.
The weekly meeting for Barony of Nordskogen, a chapter of The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization. Held in the Main Hall and Classroom (rooms 107 and 106A) every Wednesday.
Mar 1, 15, 29 | 1pm – 5pm | Amtgard LARP
Amtgard is a Live Action Roleplaying (LARP) and boffer combat society focused on the Sword & Sorcery, Medieval, and Ancient genres, and uses safe, foam-padded replicas of medieval weaponry to bring to life the tabletop or video game experience many are familiar with.Bi-weekly participation in games allows you to advance in a class, unlocking levels and new powers. Held in the Main Hall (room 107) at Event Horizon, open to the public.
Mar 3 | 6pm – 9pm | Twin Cities Adobe Users Group
Intro to Responsive Web Design in Dreamweaver. Responsive web design is a web design approach aimed at crafting sites to provide an optimal viewing experience—easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling—across a wide range of devices (from mobile phones to desktop computer monitors). Check out the Meetup for more information and to register. Cost is $5. Room 106A at Event Horizon.
Mar 15 | 6pm – 9pm | JOFcon Organizational Meeting
We’re having another organizational meeting for this fall’s JOFCon on March 15th at 7:00 PM at a private home. Please email Michael Lee (email@example.com) for address information. (We’ll be sending out address information closer to the event.)
Have you planned your calendar and registered for all of your cons and events yet? Check out the links below:
Submissions for publications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline is the 15th of every month.
If you use Amazon, remember GPS is a member of the Amazon Smile affiliate program. Shop through the GPS Amazon Smile link and Amazon will make a donation to us!